The 10 Euro Challenge – Poverty Awareness


Intro

Many people live in poverty…


Therefore, this week’s challenge is to do my weekly grocery shop for under 10 Euros. Yes, that’s right 10 Euros to spend on food and drink for 7 days.

The rules:

  1. Apart from four stock cupboard ingredients; salt, pepper, sugar and oil. I am not allowed to add or include in my meals/drinks, anything else that's not on the receipt.
  2. I must eat three meals a day, for 7 days using only the items purchased on the list including drinks.
  3. Everything must be purchased from one supermarket (as many people living in poverty do not have the availability of time or transport).

The ‘Big’ Shop

If I hadn’t been taught the life skill of saving the next two months of my life would be horrendous, my ‘accident’ allowance covers my rent and bills and leaves me with exactly 38 Euro’s a month for food and any pleasure in my life. 

I have seen many people attempt this challenge, but I’m not based in the UK or countries that you can pick up a loaf of bread for under 50 pence, I am in Milan and with the exception of tinned food (we are talking tomatoes and chickpeas here) you struggle to find anything under a Euro.

In one article that I read, the person doing the challenge was able to purchase avocados, the average cost of avocados in Italy is 3.98 Euros per kg. As much as I love Avocado’s, yes, they are a luxury even when I have my full wage in Italy.

The supermarket I have chosen is said to be one of the cheapest in my area and still have quality produce. Armed with my phone calculator, a make shift shopping list, some tips and a patient yet curious friend, we entered Eurospin. I love visiting new supermarkets so I was all geared up and really excited to discover what I was going to be able to purchase with my 10 Euros.

On entering the supermarket my heart sank as I saw all the fruit and vegetables were wildly expensive for my budget. Normally, I would have been ecstatic to find bell pepper under 2 Euros a kilo, today 2 euros a kilo meant that adding fruit and vegetables to my diet this week was unlikely.

The first tip I was given was to purchase flour and yeast and make my own bread, you only need to add salt and water (you can add oil) and you can make 3 to 4 loaves with a kilo of flour! I purchased a bag of flour for 35 cents and 50g of fresh yeast for a further 22 cents.

Next, I thought about breakfast, I need cheap black tea, milk and either cereal or jam/marmalade. I managed to find a great deal on tea at 59 cents and semi-skimmed milk 1 litre for 65 cents. The cheapest jam I could find was over a euro so I decided to abort that and picked up muesli for the same price.

After much picking up and putting things back (almost 2 hours of decision making and my inability to move fast on crutches), I purchased 14 items for 9.92 Euros and not one of them was green (apart from the fresh pesto).

9.92 Euros for 14 items
Here is my comprehensive list;

Item                                                      Euro
Museli                                                  1.00 (0.25)
Semi-skimmed Milk 1L                       0.65 (0.09)
Gnocchi 1kg                                         0.99 (0.25)
Yeast 2x25g                                          0.22 (0.11)
Dried pasta 1kg                                    0.59 (0.12)
6 Large Eggs                                        1.19 (0.20)
Plain yogurt 500g                                 0.65 (0.13)
2 x Can tomatoes @ 0.35                     0.70 (0.12)
Grated Pecorino Cheese                       1.00 (0.14)
1kg Flour                                              0.35 (0.18)
Classic black tea                                   0.59 (0.02)
Fresh Pesto                                           1.00 (0.20)
10 Fish fingers                                      0.99 (0.10)

(brackets are costs divided daily/per serving)

Day 1


Last night, I cleverly devised an eating plan for the week (after eating homemade beef wellington and green bean potato salad, drinking half a bottle of Fragolino and eating apple cream cake with ice cream with my friend for fear of living on pesto and pasta for a week).

The thing is I know this is going to be difficult for me because of two major issues. I love good food and I won’t be able to go out for a meal, which has been my only pleasure recently since my freak accident (I never knew something could be damaged so badly so easily).

This morning was my first budget breakfast, my mug of muesli (with semi-skimmed milk) and a cup of tea (one sugar and a splash of milk).

The only complain is the colour of the tea wasn’t so strong against the milk (usually I don’t have cows milk but my normal soya/rice/coco/almond milk breaks the budget). The cereal on the other hand was great! Full of dried fruit and very tasty. Feeling like I've made a good choice here (I read in other blogs where they purchased oats or something tasteless).

For lunch I stuck with a glass of water and an omelette made with two eggs, a splash of milk, a teaspoon (tsp) of grated cheese and a pinch of pepper. I warmed the pan with a tsp full of oil and entered my mixture. Actually, it was pretty good. I have to admit I am slightly blessed in the cooking department, so maybe I have an unfair advantage.

Then it was time to make the bread, I have noticed many recipes online do not work and it’s very frustrating. Luckily, I know what dough looks like so I improvised.

By 18:30 I became hungry. I started to cook the pasta and the bag split pouring a lot more pasta than I expected into my boiling water. Once cooked, I added two teaspoons of fresh pesto and a pinch of cheese. It was delicious, one of the best pesto I have encountered (that's not homemade). Then when my first batch of bread was cooked, I cut a small slice and used it to mop the last bit of pesto from my plate.

I also took a second cup of tea. I missed my daily coffee and also having a piece of fruit. However, as for the food. Today was pretty good for day one.

Total cost of produce used: 1 Euro 24 cents

Interested in how other's succeeded at this challenge, read more on the £10 a week challenge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being Vegan #meatlessmay

My Must Have Vegan Recipes 2! #meatlessmay

Vegan Love #meatlessmay