Vegan Shopping #meatlessmay

Buying Supplies - Local Supermarket's

I already know what I'm going to miss being Vegan, cheese, anchovies, a good steak/burger and my salmon sushi. Secondly, my makeup.

However, this is not a first time experience for me giving up meat, but I would say it is the first time I am giving up all animal products including beauty.

With the help of my generous friend, we went to the local supermarket (not to bore you but I am still off work and on crutches) and to the nearest International store, these shops are necessary for most none native's in any country in the world. Armed with a vegan shopping list, I venture out into the new world of Veganism.

Happily, I enjoy Tofu & green vegetables
Last week, my friend had helped me by helping me stock up on items such as lentils, legumes, tinned tomatoes, fresh and frozen vegetables. So today's shop is basically vegan products that are offered to the general public as replacement products.

As I enter, on my left there is a shelf with selected vegan items, including Quorn 😍 Magically, these products are on offer and so I picked up multiple packs of Tofu that has a long lasting life span. Whilst, in the 50% bin, it was full of Vegan items and I stuffed my basket with freezable goods. So far so good.

It seems that a high percentage of what they offer is a type of burger, I am keen to try all the different styles, so I pick up a pack of each, plus seitan ragu (which I realised I will need to eat before May) and seitan chicken looking stuff (fajitas!).

Even rice milk is on offer, which I absolutely love (I prefer alternative milks), so I can't believe my luck! I chose against soy yogurt today in favour of limiting excessive costs. I have strawberries and pears, plus I will make coconut milk based desserts as I am a fan of homemade cooking.

In addition, I picked up a packet of Grano Saraceno Quinoa Rossa e Semi di Chia (red quinoa with chia) that was on offer to try promoted as a good source of fiber and nutrients for the none meat eating community. Although, I guess this is more hipster food 🤣 but I am curious to try.

One thing I have noticed in general is that a lot of products are made to be vegan but they have no need to be, the original produce already is. I think that before going Vegan you need to really address your food knowledge and not be overwhelmed.

After spending a pretty penny in the supermarket, it was time to stock up on coconut products, spices and peanut butter at the local International food store. I also picked up a couple of sweet potatoes because in Italy the sweet potatoes come in different colours and I prefer orange. This was probably the most expensive shopping I had done in awhile but still cheaper than buying it in one of the whole food stores.

I have worked out that I probably have enough food for at least two/three weeks, with the addition of fresh food produce. My main concern is to have variation (not just eat Vegan Burgers) and to try and gain all the much needed vitamins and minerals that are needed to keep my body healthy.

Therefore, I will be venturing to the whole food shop (in Italy Naturasi) for some much needed yeast flakes to give my B vitamins an extra kick.... nothing like yeast flakes with Avocado and soy sauce on toast 😍


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being Vegan #meatlessmay

My Must Have Vegan Recipes 2! #meatlessmay

Vegan Love #meatlessmay