My Must Have Vegan Recipes 2! #meatlessmay

Satisfying Vegan Food that Prevents Cravings

Have you ever noticed that sometimes you get really weird cravings when you give up food or move to a country that doesn't have the same products?
Colour Palette Bowl

Earlier in the week, I found myself with an insatiable need for Beef Bourguignon, something I think I have eaten only once before in my 33 years. So I found a way to make the dish deliciously Vegan.

Then one brunch I decided to adapt a recipe for American pancakes. I grew up believing we needed eggs in our baking but being Vegan has changed this (it's a myth we don't need them!).

I also made a huge effort to find locally sourced produce and in turn create a rainbow pattern into my foods. The more vivid the colours the better, see pictured my colour palette bowl (with quorn pieces cooked with oil, lemon, white wine vinegar and rosemary). I found that sticking to eating foods within a colour spectrum helps digestion.

So here are some of my favourite recipes I created this week to satisfy those cravings...

Bean Bourguignon (Alcohol free)

This recipe helped me cure my craving for rich food. At the time I had no red wine so I experimented and it worked out well. It serves 2 hungry vegans.


Ingredients
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or preferred oil)
1 large clove of garlic diced
1 bay leaf
200ml of vegetable stock
1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar (red wine if you prefer)
1 tbsp of Sheffield's Hendersons Relish/Worcester Sauce
2/3 cup of dense passata
2 tsp of tomato paste
1/2 tsp of dried thyme
1 white onion roughly diced
1/3 large red pepper
1 large carrot cut into chunky pieces
1/2 a punnet of mushrooms sliced thinly
1 can of mixed legumes
Serving suggestions:
80g (dried) cous cous or rice (per serving)

Steps:
1. Add the oil, onion and garlic into a frying pan on a low heat and soften for approximately 2 minutes then add the carrots, red peppers and mushrooms.

2. Add the stock and the bay leaf and simmer on a low flame for approx 5 minutes (if the stock starts to dry out please add another 100ml of warm water).

3. Rinse the canned legumes and add them to the rest of the ingredients with the balsamic vinegar and passata. Simmer gently for another 5 minutes

4. Now it's time to add the relish, thyme and tomato paste (if the Bourguignon looks too watery please add 1/2 tsp cornflour).

5. Simmer the legumes and vegetables until they are cooked to your preference.

6. Serve as preferred.

Zingy Pasta

I had the desire for something fresh but also pasta bianco. Add into the mix, the fact I needed to use up my fennel (still working on no food waste), I decided to combine the two and make a simple dish...

Be aware this is not for everyone's pallet. It makes two portions.

Ingredients
100g of dried spaghetti
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large clove of garlic
1/2 fennel bulb coarsely chopped
1 tsp of yeast flakes

Steps:
1. Bring a pan of water to the boil, add salt and the spaghetti and cook for 5 minutes.

2. Once the pasta is cooked, drain the pasta and set to one side, if you can leave 1 tbsp of the pasta water in the pan.

3. In the pan add the oil, garlic and fennel, lightly fry for 2 minutes.

4. Add the cooked pasta back into the pan and mix well, coating the pasta with the oil keep it heated for 1 minute.

5. Take the pan off the heat and serve.

6. Sprinkle the yeast flakes onto the pasta and stir.

Tropipancakes

These are absolutely delicious and the best bit is that you can add extra ingredients or take out the banana and coconut and keep them plain and simple. You can double up the recipe as many times as needed as it makes no difference to the mixture. This mixture makes three small pancakes/ two medium sized, which serves 1 (according to the recipe I adapted).


Ingredients
1 tbsp coconut oil (you can use any oil) plus a tsp to coat the frying pan
1/2 cup of flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp Vanilla essence
1/2 cup Soya or almond milk (these have a thicker consistency than rice milk/coconut milk)
1 tbsp agave syrup (you can use sugar or maple syrup)
1 very ripe small banana or 2/3 of a large banana (the banana I use was about 10cm long)
1 heaped tsp of desiccated coconut

Serving suggestions:
With soya yogurt and fresh fruit


Steps:
1. Coat the frying pan with coconut oil and put on a light heat.

2. In a mixing bowl add the coconut oil, vanilla essence, milk, agave syrup, mashed banana and coconut and mix well.

3. Add the flour, baking powder and salt, stir well and whisk lightly with a folk.

4. The mixture will have a lumpy consistency due to the banana and coconut.

5. Using a ladle, pour a 1/3 or 1/2 of the mixture (depending on the size of the pancake you want) into the centre of the frying pan. Tip: I pour the mixture by making a slight spiral motion.

6. Lightly fry the pancake 1-2 minute's per side. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.

If  you try my recipes let me know what you think and add a comment!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being Vegan #meatlessmay

Vegan Love #meatlessmay